Interdisciplinary Conferences for Up-and-Coming Young Scientists
The Heidelberg Academy of Sciences has been promoting outstanding young scientists in Baden-Württemberg for more than ten years by providing financial support and scientific advice for the organization of international conferences. The aim is to give young scientists the opportunity to organize interdisciplinary scientific conferences on their own responsibility and with full independence. The academy provides financial resources for this, supports the organization and also offers scientific advice. In line with the academy's self-image, the conferences are intended to facilitate scientific discussions across disciplines and must therefore be thematically interdisciplinary.
- When submitting an application, you must
- be a doctorate,
- work at a research institute in Baden-Württemberg,
- not yet be appointed to a full-time professorship at the time of submitting the application.
Scientists are only entitled to apply in an early scientific career phase after completing their doctorate. Family phases are taken into account in the assessment. Researchers who are already affiliated with the Academy are excluded from submitting applications.
Depending on the budget, up to three interdisciplinary junior conferences will be announced for the year 2023.
- The funding amount is a maximum of 11,000 euros per conference.
- The funds must be spent within the budget year 2023.
- Travel funds, material resources (e.g. conference material, invitations) and funds for student and academic assistants can be requested, but not for academic staff. In principle, the Academy does not pay any fees for the speakers at the conference. Travel expenses are reimbursed in accordance with the Baden-Württemberg State Travel Expenses Act.
- A cost item for the publication of the conference can be requested within the budget. Only Open Access publications are funded.
- The conference should preferably be held on the premises of the academy. There are no costs for the use of the rooms. The academy's lecture hall is designed for approx. 60 - 80 conference participants. There should be no more than four conference days. The conference cannot be planned over a weekend. When applying, it is sufficient to specify a desired period of time; an agreement of the date with the academy is required in case of approval. A different venue must be justified separately.
The proposal, and thus the conference, must be interdisciplinary in itself. As part of the application, it must be explained which topic is to be dealt with and how this is only possible through an interdisciplinary conference. In addition to the description of the content, a conference plan must be submitted in the appendix. Speakers who are to be invited must be listed but not yet requested.
The application must not be longer than five pages. In addition, a financing plan (max. 1 page) and a curriculum vitae with a list of publications (max. 2 pages per person) must be submitted. [Times New Roman 12pt, line spacing 1.15].
The deadline for submission is June 6th, 2022. Please send the complete documents in one PDF file with a meaningful file name to Christiane Schröter (email@example.com).